Friday, June 22, 2012

100 Strangers Project Part 25

 Meet: Ammany Muthulingam


Ammany is 64 years old and from Sri Lanka. He has lived in Montreal for the past 27 years. He told me his wife was killed in Sri Lanka by a bomb in April 1987. She was only 35 years old and he left soon after that. He was now a widower with 5 children to raise. When he moved here, he opened a restaurant that served Canadian and Italian food. Two years ago he had very bad cholestrol and had to have open heart surgery, and he still has problems to this day. One of his children now lives in Switerland, one in Toronto and the other three live near him in Montreal. He has 11 grandchildren, who he spoils rotten with sweets. Ammany treated me like one of his grandchildren and offered me the contents of his pockets when I finished the interview. He gave me a packet of chewing gum and two packets of sweets. Thank you Ammany for sharing your life with me on a very hot day in Jean Talon.


©Alison Slattery. All Rights Reserved.