Friday, May 27, 2016

Anita & Mike, Ballyseedy Castle, Ireland

I was absolutely delighted to get an email from Anita asking me to be her wedding photographer. This would be my first destination wedding across the pond to Ireland. I would finally be going home & shooting a wedding, a dream I longed for. I know Anita from secondary school, we were in the same year & had the same friends. Her closest friends & two of her sisters were my basketball buddies. Her sister Mags, had the pleasure of sitting next to me in French class for a year. Knowing that I would see a lot of old friends at her wedding had me reeling with excitement.

I arrived in Ireland just before Paddy's day & the wedding was the following day. I was nervous about the weather, it being in Ireland where it never stops raining but someone must have left a child of Prague or even a dozen under a bush, because we got an absolute cracker of a day. As I got lost looking for Anita's house that morning, because Irish addresses are something else lads, you won't believe it till you try it, her dad saved me by coming to my aid. I entered a house full of joy & laughter. After recognising so many wonderful faces all at once, I knew instantly this was going to be a fantastic day. Anita was as cool as a breeze, just taking it all in her stride. Her dress & jewellery hanging in her room. Mom helped her get ready, buttoning carefully. Her bridesmaids faces dropped when they saw her emerge from the room. Out in Ballyseede castle, Mike was popping bottles of champers with his bestmen. Jokes, suits, shoes, watches, cufflinks & boutonnière's filled the room. Family members popped in & out to see all the goings-on.

The ceremony was held at St John's church, Tralee. It brought back tons of memories, that was our school church, many a mass had been held there. The priest, a close friend of the family was witty & spoke highly of Anita & Mike. After we headed to Ballyseede for the reception. Ballyseede is a 1590's castle with a forest and lawns. The old stables are now converted into the dining room where the reception was held. There are two drawing rooms, a bar & a breakfast room. There is a lot of chatter that this is also one of Ireland's most haunted hotels but to be honest, we didn't see nor hear a thing. We opted to do our couple portraits around the gardens of ballyseede, because the day was so perfect & the setting was gorgeous. Anita & Mike were simply wonderful & very easygoing, gems of clients to work with. You two looked so happy during our shoot that it would make any couple envious. After hearing your speeches, how you met, your love for each other & your families, you had people in tears & it continued when both of yer fathers took over to wow the crowds with stories that left laughter ringing for days.

Anita & Mike, thank you so much for trusting us with your big day & for giving me my first wedding in Ireland.

Second Shooter - Farah Khan // Dress - Justin Alexander// Suit - Canali// Florist - Every Occasions// Rings - Appleby Dublin// Make Up - Mary Kelly, Tralee// Shoes - Minx, Tralee// Jewellery - Chupi//